TOP TIPS FOR RAISING READERS
Whether we’re writers, teachers, librarians, reading specialists, parents, grandparents, or homeschooling families, we all share one thing in common: we want to know how to raise our children to love books as much as we do. Here are some of my favorite tips that I hope will help you on your journey!
- Make reading time a special time each night before bedtime.
- Reading books written in rhyme helps build confidence in reading.
- Read together in a comfy spot.
- Let your kids find you reading, too!
- Model your home into a nest of books with books in every room.
- Gift books on birthdays, holidays, and special occasions.
- Read aloud to your children.
- For beginning readers, read books with vocabulary just right for their age.
- For struggling readers, look for “hi-lo” books…high age interest on topics for older kids but lower vocabulary levels.
- Fill baskets of books and place a basket next to comfy chairs.
- Create a special reading nook…comfy oversized pillows, stuffed toy reading buddies, books, books, books!
- Continue the heritage of a rich tradition and read nursery rhymes to your children.
- Glue a bookplate in the front of their special books with their name on it.
- Host a book-themed party…just because!
- Have dress-up days with costumes as your favorite book characters.
- Borrow books from your local library.
- Build a Little Free Library for your front yard and enlist them to help fill it with books.
- Hunt together for books at garage sales.
- Give kids opportunities to earn cash to buy books.
- Read nursery rhymes to instill a love for language.
- Sign your kids up for a summer reading challenge.
- Invite them to share favorite books with a friend.
- Read the same book they’re reading and talk about it together.
More tips coming soon!
CLICK HERE for even more ideas on raising readers with a firm foundation of faith!